It’s the makeup step that almost everyone started out with. Whether roughly rubbing it across your waterline or trying but failing miserably to perfect a flick; we’ve all used eyeliner at one point. As such an integral part of your makeup routine, everyone is always trying to find the best black eyeliner.
Whether you prefer a pencil or liquid formula, we’ve put together a list of the top black eyeliners out there. This is easily one of the hardest categories to shop for, there are countless, infinite options out here and we’re here to help you narrow things down.
Different Eyeliners for Different Needs
With so many options out there, it’s important to understand which product can achieve a specific finish.
- Pencil. Kohl eyeliners come in pencil forms which can be sharpened or twisted up. These eyeliners are best when it comes to lining your waterline or lash line. They can also be used for a smoky look by applying them to your upper lash line or eyelid and blending it out with a brush.
- Liquid or Gel. For those more familiar with makeup it’s always best to opt for a liquid or gel liner. They can tricky to work with if you’re not too experienced, but if you are then these work best to achieve a perfect jet black look. They’re also usually the most long lasting. You can even use a gel liner for your waterline to avoid it transferring and leaving you with a messy look!
- Felt Tip. Luckily for those of us less experienced there are felt tip liners. These come in the form of a pen with a fine felt tip, they are the easiest to use. The shape of the tip allows you to easily achieve an even flick and a thin line on your lash line. Consider these liquid eyeliner for dummies.
Top 10 Black Eyeliners Table
Eyeliner Tips & Tricks
Here are a couple of secrets to getting the absolute most out of your eyeliner:
- Double up the Pencil Liner. When using pencil eyeliner you’re prone to end up with it transferring onto your under-eyes or your lids, they can easily smudge all over the place. Even the best black eyeliner is prone to that.
That’s why the best tricks to avoiding that is to apply the liner and let it dry then apply a second layer. This will really seal the line in place!
- Use Sticky Tape. Not all of us are blessed with the ability to get perfectly even eyeliner flicks every time, but we can cheat our way to it.
Cut off a piece of sticky tape and apply stick it starting from the outer corner of your eyes to the end of your brows, and then apply the liner.
Allow it to dry and then rip it off, you’ll be left with a perfect crisp line!
Top 3 Best Black Eyeliner Reviews
1. L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Smoldering Liner
This versatile eyeliner has so many uses that it easily makes it to the top of the list as the best black eyeliner. The L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Smoldering Liner is the blackest of black eyeliners you’ll come across.
Not only can this liner be used to tight-line your eyes, but the width of the pencil can also work amazingly as an eyeshadow. This works wonders as a lazy girls smoky eye, just apply this all over your lids and blend out the edges and you’re good to go!
The eyeliner is also so extremely black and intense that it can also double up to give you a bold eyeliner flick. It can sharpen down to an extremely precise tip to help make the job a lot easier.
We had to make this eyeliner the top pick because of how richly intense it is and how perfect it is for every use you could need!
2. NYX Cosmetics Collection Noir Liquid Liner
If you’re looking for absolute precision, this is the eyeliner for you! The NYX Cosmetics Collection Noir Liquid Liner has the most precise tip you will ever come across –it’s almost hard to detect!
This insanely thin tip works amazingly to get so many different looks. You lightly apply it right at your lash line to apply a barely visible line that can fake the look of thicker lashes. Or you can use it to get a really precise eyeliner flick.
It can work amazingly to help you customize how thick you want your eyeliner, rather than accidently ending up with a thick line every single time as you do with most eyeliners.
We love how intensely black this eyeliner is, but most of all we love how this fine tip can help you perfect your desired look.
3. Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1
You read right, this eyeliner actually doubles as a lash boosting serum. The Physicians Formula Eye Booster eyeliner is a ultra-black felt tip liner. It has a very fine tip that allows you to easily get the perfect line with every use.
But there is a lot more than meets the eye with this one. This eyeliner’s formula actually contains a serum that aids lash growth. Over time this eyeliner can actually give you longer and fuller lashes- amazing, we know!
Aside from its long-term benefits, this is the best eyeliner when it comes to felt tips. The felt tip doesn’t dry out as quickly as most, and it is guaranteed to give you the blackest of black lines! We can’t get enough of this, and neither can our lashes!